Menu Bar

"Okay."

Writing Prompt 
Wk. two

Using less than 500 words write a scene with two characters who haven’t seen each other for a number of years. What does each character want? Why haven’t they seen each other for so long? Can you convey this while maintaining tension?

______________________


I was at the grocery store picking up a loaf of bread, as I was waiting in line to pay, I felt my coat vibrate. I pulled out phone thinking it would be my mom, she was expecting me at any time now. Instead it was him. He asked to meet me at The Lakehouse, I grudgingly agreed to it. Its only in this moment that I regret it.

My eyes discovered him as if he was the only one in the restaurant, and when I did, the pain quickly followed. I walked over to him, with every step my heartbeat got louder and louder.

"Hi" he smiled.

"Hi" I kept my poker face on, I didnt know what else to do. He didnt deserve a smile, so I didnt give him one.

"How have you been, Emma?"

"Why do you all of a sudden care?" I said sharply.

He looked alarmed at my response.

"I guess I do deserve that."  He nodded his head.

"What do you want John?" I asked.

His eyes went from innocent to defensive. Yet he still held his tongue.

"Emma, I know this is hard to understand, because you dont know everything. For that I am sorry."

"It doesnt have to be that way, you dont have to keep things from me."

"It's more complicated than that. Emma, I want to get to know you again, all I know is the past. I want to know YOU, for who you've grown to be. Its been nine years."

"Who's fault is that?" I replied.

"Mine." He looked directly in my eyes.
I looked at him, surprised he finally took the blame.

"Why did you leave, you expect me to pick up where we left off, but we can't just sweep the past under the rug and pretend it's going to be alright! it's not alright!" My voice crackled, as my heart pounded in anger.

"I left because, back then I was a boy. I had a lot of my own issues to work out and I knew that I couldnt expect you to have to deal with that. So I did what I had to do, it was the best. I don't expect you to understand but you just have to trust me." he pleaded.

I held my tears back, I couldn't show any signs of weakness, at least not now.

"I dont even know you anymore."

"I want to change that. Em, I'm your father, let me at least try."

I thought back to the time we were at my friends birthday party, and I was jumping on the trampoline. I jumped so high that when I landed I heard a crack, and the pain quickly followed. My dad came to me almost before the tears could escape my eyes. Even though I had never felt more pain... I also never felt more safe. 

I looked at him now, and the pain I felt the moment I walked in the room was shrouded by the longing I had to feel the safeness I once felt as a kid.

I looked at him, with tears welling in my eyes, I said "Okay."

_________________
 
 If you're interested in seeing these writing prompts for yourself please visit this site://www.alicekuipers.com/prompts/