Menu Bar

Prompt Challenge 1 - Goodbye

Week One:
Here is this weeks pompt challenge:

Using less that 500 words, write a scene that includes each of the following elements:
A cell phone.
A man who has a secret.
An empty house.


___________________


The air smelled exactly the way I left it, cold and salty. Seeing the walls bare makes it hard to believe the memories it holds.  The day I left is burned into my mind like a stain I can’t wash away.

The first few weeks were the hardest, ignoring the phone calls, and putting away the memories like fine China you don’t need anymore.  Anywhere I went I saw us there.  I had to constantly remind myself of the decision I made, and more importantly the reason I made that decision. Although it was hard, sometimes the best decisions we make are the hardest ones. I knew that now.  The one regret I have about this whole situation is not telling her why.

Why did you leave?
Why couldn’t you tell me?

I heard her say those things in my mind more than I could hear my own thoughts. The answer is I never had the courage. If I saw her today, I would say I’m sorry. Not that it means anything now, but I would say it because she deserves at least that. The ring of my cell phone interrupted the reminiscent thoughts I was playing back.

“Hello…Yes I’ll be home soon, I just had to pick up some wine for dinner.”
“Bye. I love you”

I took one last good look at the lifeless rooms before me. Breathed in one last salty breath, and I turned around and put one foot in front of the other. I got to the door and closed it behind me, took the key and turned the lock.  I continued down the front steps and down the cement path. Lost in my thoughts I almost tripped over the For Sale sign, then I smiled and thanked the Realtor for letting me take the tour of the home and said unfortunately it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.  I got in my car, put the key in the ignition and started it up. Then I drove off, without a second glance.

 _____________________


 If you're interested in seeing these writing prompts for yourself please visit this site://www.alicekuipers.com/prompts/